Your company may already be suffering from gambling-related harm…
1. Why should I consider gamban® for my company?
“The significant increase in fraud is quite shocking, but I am not surprised that the second biggest reason for fraud is gambling. If left unchecked, compulsive gambling leads to debt. It is debt that is so destructive to relationships and daily life, debt that leads to the gambler making desperate choices that lead to fraud. EPIC’s philosophy is prevention, through awareness and education. Too many people are being convicted of crimes to feed destructive habits. At EPIC, we work with our clients to help their employees make the right choices.” Justyn Larcombe, Operations Director, EPIC Risk Management
2. The Impact of problem gambling in the work-place
It may be that members of your team already need protection from gambling-related harm and this could be causing problems with motivation, mental health, relationships and productivity.
Studies have linked gambling with a loss of productivity, with gamblers spending time away from work to gamble.
It is estimated that gamblers lose over seven hours at work a month to gambling (REED Report on Gambling and Employment)
The effects of gambling addiction often don’t end with the problem gambler. This is an issue that can affect the entire team. Consider what might happen if an individual becomes depressed, unmotivated, withdrawn or, in extreme cases, commits suicide.
3. Why protect employees & staff?
Imagine knowing that anyone in your organisation who wants or needs protection from gambling-related harm can have immediate access. Consider that gambling addiction still carries with it a slight stigma for some. These people may not be ready to discuss compulsive gambling with HR or Occupational Health but may still need help.
By offering gamban® protection, you are making an important and worthwhile investment in your staff. This is not a box-ticking exercise. This is real, practical protection built by people with first-hand experience of problem gambling.
4. Let gamban® take care of the problem
5. What if you do nothing?
- Increased insurance premiums due to higher risk
- Irredeemable reputation management
- Legal proceedings following anti-social behaviour, aggression, assault or suicide
- Media attention
- Fines & penalties
Our motto at gamban® is ‘prevention is cheaper than cure’, so while you might be fine without gamban®, we would strongly recommend protecting your team.
6. Why gamban®?
- 6% of 25-34 year olds gamble while at work, either online or on mobile.
- People aged 25-34 are one of the most likely age groups to think about gambling while at work, gamble while at work online or via app and know someone negatively affected by gambling.
- People with management responsibility are more likely to gamble than those without management responsibility (45% vs 39%), perhaps suggesting a link between more stressful employment positions and gambling.
- Similarly, 18% of those with management responsibility gamble at least once a week, compared to 14% of those without management responsibility.